Motorola Droid Turbo XT1254 Android 4.4.4 don't need root, just install Boldbeast Call Recorder and go, it records calls perfectly.
Please use Record Mode 4 to record calls.

The call recording feature of Android 4.4.4 is available, your phone can record calls well without root.
However if you upgrade to Android 5.1, you should root your phone.

We checked the Droid Turbo XT1254 Android 5.1 ROM, the call recording feature is disabled by Motorola.

Motorola disabled the call recording feature in a very strict way, even if Boldbeast Recorder can't bypass the limit. As a result without root all recorders in the market can only record your voice, the caller's voice can't be recorded.

If you root your phone Boldbeast Recorder can fix the problem, and record calls in two directions perfectly.
Please use these settings to record calls after root:

- Record Mode: 1, 5 or 7
- Tune Audio Route: Group3
- Change Audio Controls: Yes
- Change Audio Driver: No
- Start Input Stream: No

Updated 2015-08-30
=================

Droid Turbo XT1254 Android 5.1 ROM build date 2015-06-22  =>  must root the phone to fix the recording problem.

Droid Turbo XT1254 Android 5.1 ROM build date 2015-07-10  =>  no longer need root, please use these settings to record calls:
- Record Format: MP4

So if possible please update your ROM to the one built in 2015-07-10 (the Build number is "SU3TL-39").

Moto G 1st / Moto G 2nd: Moto G call recorder
Moto G 3rd: Moto G 3rd Call Recorder
Moto G 3rd Turbo Edition XT1556/7: Moto G Turbo Edition Call Recorder
Moto G 4th: Moto G 4th call recorder
Moto G4 Play: Moto G4 Play call recorder
Moto G5: Moto G5 call recorder
Moto G5S: Moto G5S call recorder
Moto E: Moto E Call Recorder
Moto E3: Moto E3 Call Recorder
Moto E4: Moto E4 Call Recorder
Moto X: Moto X Call Recorder
Moto X Pro: Moto X Pro Call Recorder
Moto X Style XT1570/2/5: Moto X Style Call Recorder
Moto X Play XT1562: Moto X Play Call Recorder
Moto X Force XT1580/1: Moto X Force Call Recorder
Moto Z Force / Moto Z Play: Moto Z Call Recorder
Moto Z2 Force: Moto Z2 Call Recorder
Moto Maxx XT1225/XT1250: Moto Maxx Call Recorder
Droid Maxx2 XT1565: Droid Maxx 2 Call Recorder
Droid Turbo XT1254: Droid Turbo Call Recorder
Droid Turbo2 XT1585: Droid Turbo 2 Call Recorder

5 (edited by wmtucker 2015-09-23 14:54:12)

Look, I am a tech numbnut. WTF is "root"? I purchased the Pro version. I have a Mot Turbo, XT1254 Droid 5.1. It states its configuration as F14.MOT.XT1254.0.  Its build date is listed at 7-10-2015.

What do I need to do to get a decent recording? I hear me just fine but the other end of the call is somewhere in Siberia.

Thanks.

F14.MOT.XT1254.0 is the Configuration version.
Please check the Build number of your Android 5.1 ROM, it may be "SU3TL-38" or "SU3TL-39". Users reported the later one works well without root.
You can open the built-in "Settings - About phone" screen to see the Build number.

My phone's build is SU3TL-39 so I'm assuming I won't have to go rooting.

I did switch the record mode to 5 and it seems to be better. Just out of curiousity, is there a place where I read what those modes mean? If not, is this a trial and error kind of deal?

A Record Mode is related to a group of recording parameters used by Boldbeast Recorder.

There are more than 8000 Android phones, many of them can't record calls well. Boldbeast Recorder can fix the problem for most phones, users need to test and use a proper Mode, it's different from phone to phone, from ROM version to ROM version, from country to country.

9 (edited by whiskeyfairy 2015-10-18 02:37:15)

All,

Can you share all the settings related to the Droid turbo running the SU3TL-39 ? I upgraded to the paid version on android 4.4. On 4.4 the voice quality was excellent and loud both ways. It was perfect. [edited, forgot to mention the amazing quality prior to 5.1 upgrade.]

I ran the 5.1 upgrade today and used the following settings, but the voice on the other side is clear, but very quiet.

- Record Format: MP4

Additionally I tried each Tune Audio Route: setting with each of those record modes, 1,5,7 I noticed very little difference between the tune audio route group options. For fun, I also tried the tune audio effect for several of them with no obvious difference in quality.

I attempted to increase the volume through the use of record mode 7 and adjusting the audio up 15% and 1%. Both degraded the quality.

Are there any other quick suggestions before I root my phone? I'm a bit skeptical of rooting it. I'd prefer not to if anyone knows the real key to good quality.

Thanks all,
daveTheWhiskeyFairy

Even for the same "SU3TL-39" ROM, I guess Motorola disabled the call recording feature in some countries but enabled it in other countries.

As a result, some users said suggested settings above work perfectly without root.

Some users said the caller's sound is still weak. In this case please root the phone, enable the "Change Audio Controls" and "Start Input Stream" options, then it works perfectly. The two options are visible in the app only after you root the phone.