My Samsung Galaxy S4 is the Google Play Edition.

I tried all record modes available (1-7 and 11-14).  Only on 1 did it record the other party, but it didn't record me.  I don't have a clear understanding of what these modes do - I noticed some of them record in AMR and others in WAV but that's about it.  As a fellow developer it would help to get some idea of the difference between these modes.

I also see there are some Samsung-specific tuning modes, but I have no idea what they do and I'm not about to try 11 record modes combined with all the possible combinations of those tuning modes, because that would easily get me into having to try over 100 calls to try all of them.

Does anyone have working settings for this phone model?

If not, any suggestions on what the modes do (both record modes and tuning modes) and what I could try?

As a feature suggestion - since the software is at least able to tell me that it cannot record while a call is going on, and it knows the settings used, and it knows the model number and android version, it would make sense for the app to report working and non-working settings, and have an online database, to at least eliminate the hunt-and-peck for working settings.

I can't imagine the typical user of this app would even have tried the 11 settings that I just did - they need to be at least as OCD as me to do that :)

Many phones are disabled to record calls by the manufacturer, a common recorder app can't work. But if we use a group of special parameters to start recording some of them work well. A record mode is related to a group of parameters used to record calls.

What record mode works well? It's different from phone to phone, you should test them one by one. Yes, it's a hard work. Thank you for the suggestion "make an online database, let users report working and non-working settings", we'll consider it.

Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition need root, use following settings to record calls:
- Record Mode: 1
- Record Format: AMR
- Tune Samsung 1: No
- Tune Samsung 2: No
- Tune Samsung 3: No
- Tune Audio Route: No
- Change Audio Controls: Yes
- Change Audio Driver: No
- Start Input Stream: Yes

If your Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition has rooted and disabled SELinux, you can also use following settings to record calls:
- Record Mode: 24
- Tune Samsung 1: No
- Tune Samsung 2: No
- Tune Samsung 3: No
- Tune Audio Route: No
- Change Audio Controls: Yes
- Change Audio Driver: Yes
- Start Input Stream: No

See here also: Galaxy S4 Call Recorder