I've bought Boldbeast Call recorder in the play store for myself and my partner and used the suggested settings for a rooted phone as found in earlier posts on this forum on both my phone and that of my partner. Ever since we have the app installed, our phones switch off automatically at random times, but most often when we receive a call or when we call someone ourselves. We can have a conversation for about a minute or 2 and then the phone just shuts down. Is this a known issue and is there something we can do about it?

Boldbeast Recorder doesn't change any built-in files in the system, it only dynamically changes audio related settings, these settings will be restored by the system to their original states after power off + power on, so it is 100% safe. It doesn't make the problem you described.

Because you have rooted your phone, I guess there are other apps that changed some files in your phone, and this made the problem. I suggest you restore to the clean unchanged ROM and test again.