While using my Note 8 during calls I sometimes find that the screen becomes unresponsive if Bolbbeast is installed. I removed it for a short time and had no lockups, but really prefer to have it installed and on, since I like having my calls recorded for later reference.
Note that only the touch screen becomes unresponsive. Hardware buttons work fine, and the screen properly displays, changes orientation, etc. Shortcuts for snapping screen captures, shake-toggling the flashlight, taking pictures from off mode, all work. But the touch screen is unresponsive from the point the call is answered to upwards of 30 seconds after the other side has hung up. (The Note 8 phone app also has an option to force call hangup using the power button, which I've enabled short term to get around not being able to end a call due to this issue.)
I suspect this may have to do with the overlay used to make the manual record button appear in the app. It mainly seems to happen when the phone app is either in the background, or has started as a partial drop-down app (something likely unique to the Note series). I've disabled both of those features for now, and have seen a much reduced occurrence of the problem, but it still happens at times, usually on longer calls.
Would it be possible to add an option to completely disable the overlay code? (eg. Prevent the code for making the overlay from ever being called?)
I've tried turning the manual button off (so no button is visible), but I suspect that the app is still trying to create the overlay when a call is active even if the manual button is not being displayed. I use the auto-record function (registered) to record all calls, so I have no need of a touch button to toggle record states.
Before suggesting other resolutions, note that I've already tried most other things from this site and others. I've checked that it's not the proximity sensor, nor does it appear to be any other app causing it, since removing Boldbeast fixed the problem. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Boldbeast, cleared the system cache, and app caches for all instances of Boldbeast, the phone app, and the contact app. The only time I've seen it never have this bug is when Boldebeast is uninstalled, which I'd really rather not do.
This started happening shortly after the last Oreo update. It took me some time to trace down exactly what was happening.