Hi boldbeast,

I have Nexus 5X running stock ROM and rooted. I tried options mentioned here. I continue to get metallic distorted sound when I play  the recording.

I have send you the logs just now.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Please do this:

- make a call, don't start recording it.
- wait the other side answering the call.
- now start recording it.

Does it have any difference about the "distorted sound"?

I tried this and I am getting same distorted recording.

boldbeast wrote:

Please do this:

- make a call, don't start recording it.
- wait the other side answering the call.
- now start recording it.

Does it have any difference about the "distorted sound"?

29 (edited by grd16 2016-07-22 11:31:23)

Also huge distortion on LG-H791 (32GB)

I have tried changing related recording parameters and asked several users testing them, unfortunately the distorted problem is always there. I guess the problem is inside the kernel, an app can't change it. There is no good solution so far.

Hi all,

I'm using a Google Nexus 5X (16gb) from LG.
I have got it to work with this settings:

- Record Mode: Alsa
- Alsa device: Device0
- Tune Audio Effect: NO
- Tune Audio Route: Group 3
- Change Audio Controls: NO
- Change Audio Driver: NO
- Start Input Stream: YES

Hope this helps someone else, bye :)
Lorenzo

boldbeast wrote:

I have tried changing related recording parameters and asked several users testing them, unfortunately the distorted problem is always there. I guess the problem is inside the kernel, an app can't change it. There is no good solution so far.

I'm considering to post a petition to Google / feedback text to Nexus team which everyone can send asking to fix/enable the call recording on this device. Do you have more details on what's irrepairingly wrong with 5X, so I can refer to your conclusion as one of those developers who tried every workaround, and ultimately failed?

reporter1979 wrote:

I'm using a Google Nexus 5X (16gb) from LG.

Lorenzo, which model do you have: H790 (aimed at the US market) or H791 (the rest of the world)?

yurkennis wrote:
boldbeast wrote:

I'm considering to post a petition to Google / feedback text to Nexus team which everyone can send asking to fix/enable the call recording on this device. Do you have more details on what's irrepairingly wrong with 5X, so I can refer to your conclusion as one of those developers who tried every workaround, and ultimately failed?

Nexus 5X uses the Qualcomm MSM8992 chip, the chip has more than 1000 audio controls inside. To get a good sound all controls should be in the right state. Some of the controls can be changed by us, some controls can't be changed by us because they can only be changed in the kernel.

Why other phones that use the same MSM8992 chip don't have the "distorted sound" problem? Because they have all audio controls in their right state.
Why Nexus 5X has the "distorted sound" problem? Because some of the audio controls in the wrong states and third-party apps can't change them.

boldbeast wrote:

Thanks a lot, it's extemely helpful and relevant to my purposes!

Does the recorder works with the latest (non-beta) Android 7.0 N / Nougat? Any problems / difficulties to expect, compared to stock Android 6.0.x?

yurkennis wrote:

Does the recorder works with the latest (non-beta) Android 7.0 N / Nougat? Any problems / difficulties to expect, compared to stock Android 6.0.x?

Android 7.0 changed something inside, Boldbeast Recorder V8.6 fails getting root access. We are developing V8.7 at this moment.

I have the Nexus 5X 32gb(H791 model)

These options work for me on android 6.0.1 (MTC20F)

Record mode: 1
Tune Audio route: Disabled
Change Audio controls: disabled
Change audio driver:Disabled
Start input stream: Enabled

Hope this helps people on this build.

Divexon wrote:

I have the Nexus 5X 32gb(H791 model)

These options work for me on android 6.0.1 (MTC20F)

Record mode: 1
Tune Audio route: Disabled
Change Audio controls: disabled
Change audio driver:Disabled
Start input stream: Enabled

Hope this helps people on this build.

Thank you for sharing the information. It's surely useful for other Nexus 5X users.

Nexus 6P, 6, 5X Android 7.0 now work great (root needed).
Look here: http://www.boldbeast.com/forum/topic132 … r-v87.html

@boldbeast,

In the Boldbeast Recorder V8.7 thread you posted

boldbeast wrote:

We have just released the new version of Boldbeast Recorder V8.8.
Please update the app in your phone to V8.8, the problems have been fixed in the new version.

but the distortion problem remains the same. Are specific settings needed to remove distortion with V8.8 on the Nexus 5X?

Thanks.

V8.8 fixed several other problems.
As to Nexus 5X "sound distorted" problem, we haven't found a good solution so far.

Hi,

Let me share my own experience with you. I'm running with Nexus 5X (32GB) international version and BoldBeast 9.0.
I have root and found these settings to give great results:

Record Mode: Alsa
Alsa Device: Device0 (all other ALSA settings: Auto)
Tune Audio Effect: On
Tune Audio Group: Group3
Change Audio Control: NO
Change Audio Driver: NO
Start Input Stream: YES

It took quite a while to figure out the settings but I kept getting metallic voice and stuttering. Apparently my biggest mistake was not related to settings but to playing out the recordings!
It seems that they are sorted based on date and the newest one is at the top. All things considered - it makes perfect sense, but I kept playing the last file after every change I've made so it always played the bad recording and I felt nothing I did changed.

So - make sure you know which recording file you're clicking on (based on time) or just delete them after you see they aren't what you expected.

I guess many people can fall for that mistake :-)

voguemaster wrote:

Hi,

Let me share my own experience with you. I'm running with Nexus 5X (32GB) international version and BoldBeast 9.0.
I have root and found these settings to give great results:

It took quite a while to figure out the settings but I kept getting metallic voice and stuttering. Apparently my biggest mistake was not related to settings but to playing out the recordings!
It seems that they are sorted based on date and the newest one is at the top. All things considered - it makes perfect sense, but I kept playing the last file after every change I've made so it always played the bad recording and I felt nothing I did changed.

So - make sure you know which recording file you're clicking on (based on time) or just delete them after you see they aren't what you expected.

I guess many people can fall for that mistake :-)

Thanks for sharing the settings and your experience, it's surely useful to other users.

nasnat wrote:

I have another problem with my 5X, the app is not recognizing that my device is rooted... I can't choose Alsa mode :(

You are using an old version.
Please update Boldbeast Recorder in your phone to the latest version (currently V9.0), then it works at once.

I used the settings voguemaster suggested:

But the the app is trying to record calls, putting them on speakers for a split of a second again and again...
it also send notification that I need to change alsa device and that call never recorded...

I'm using Nexus 5X (32GB)
Android 7.1.1
app version 9.0 GP

nasnat wrote:

I used the settings voguemaster suggested:

But the the app is trying to record calls, putting them on speakers for a split of a second again and again...
it also send notification that I need to change alsa device and that call never recorded...

I'm using Nexus 5X (32GB)
Android 7.1.1
app version 9.0 GP

There is another recorder working in your phone that blocks Boldbeast, please remove it then Boldbeast works at once.

boldbeast wrote:

There is another recorder working in your phone that blocks Boldbeast, please remove it then Boldbeast works at once.

There was (disabled one), I removed it, restarted my phone and still the same,... Tried all alsa devices

nasnat wrote:

There was (disabled one), I removed it, restarted my phone and still the same,... Tried all alsa devices

Can you please click the "Call Settings - Fix Recording Issues - Ask New Parameters" item in Boldbeast Recorder to send hardware log files to me? let us have a look at them and see what happened. Thanks.

boldbeast wrote:
nasnat wrote:

Can you please click the "Call Settings - Fix Recording Issues - Ask New Parameters" item in Boldbeast Recorder to send hardware log files to me? let us have a look at them and see what happened. Thanks.

Did it, got an email back with no help..