Yes, root is needed.

I'm on the latest 6.0 build for nexus 6p. I've got recording working when using the earpiece, but it seems like the gain is wrong (too high) when using speakerphone, and the person on the other end sounds terrible. Like it's clipping or peaking.

I'm rooted, using Alsa audio, auto detect device, and all other settings specified at the beginning of this thread.

Anything I can do to fix it?

Users reported Nexus 6P

- Huawei official ROMs before Android 6.0.1 MTC19X,  recorded voice is crystal clear in two sides.
- Huawei official ROMs after Android 6.0.1 MTC19X (include),  recorded voice has the "high gain" problem.
- Huawei official ROMs after Android 7.0 (include),  recorded voice is crystal clear in two sides.
- PureNexus ROMs, recorded voice is crystal clear in two sides.

So if possible please consider upgrade to the Huawei official Android 7.0 ROM, or consider PureNexus ROMs.

adcurtin wrote:

I'm on the latest 6.0 build for nexus 6p. I've got recording working when using the earpiece, but it seems like the gain is wrong (too high) when using speakerphone, and the person on the other end sounds terrible. Like it's clipping or peaking.

I'm rooted, using Alsa audio, auto detect device, and all other settings specified at the beginning of this thread.

I have same problem on stock 7.0 with systemless root only. Same settings. Person on the other end sounds terrible - too high gain. I can send example records if you want.

konrad wrote:
adcurtin wrote:

I have same problem on stock 7.0 with systemless root only. Same settings. Person on the other end sounds terrible - too high gain. I can send example records if you want.

Nexus 6P Android 7.0 doesn't have this problem.
Have you changed the "Settings > Call Settings > Increase Volume (%)" option in the app? Please change it back to 0, then it records calls crystal clear.

Just updated my 6P To Android 7.1.1. Call recorder doesn't work anymore. Need to change recoding mode or something? Are new settings required?

Ch3vr0n wrote:

Just updated my 6P To Android 7.1.1. Call recorder doesn't work anymore. Need to change recoding mode or something? Are new settings required?

Please uninstall all other recorders in your phone to avoid conflicts.
Nexus 6P Android 7.1.1 Nougat works great, the Alsa settings in the post #1 are suggested.

Users tested with the NMF26F official ROM, recorded calls are crystal clear in two sides.
Some users tested with a third-party NMF26O ROM, there is noise in recordings.
So the official ROM is suggested.

Ch3vr0n wrote:

I just updated to PureNexus 7.1.1 and recording wasn't working anymore. Only thing I had to change is to re-enable root in the call settings - fix recording issues!

drnizeguy wrote:

I just updated to PureNexus 7.1.1 and recording wasn't working anymore. Only thing I had to change is to re-enable root in the call settings - fix recording issues!

Please:
1. uninstall all other recorders in your phone.
2. update Boldbeast Recorder to the latest version (currently V9.0).
Now it should work.

Stock 7.1.1 doesn't work good. Sometimes quality is crystal, but sometimes... to high gain of person on the other end.

konrad wrote:

Stock 7.1.1 doesn't work good. Sometimes quality is crystal, but sometimes... to high gain of person on the other end.

Please change following options in the app:

- Call Settings - Incoming Calls - Auto Detect Answered State: Yes
- Call Settings - Incoming Calls - Auto Detect Max Time (Seconds): 4 ---------------> Change to 100
- Call Settings - Incoming Calls - Restart Recording Upon Answered: Yes

- Call Settings - Outgoing Calls - Auto Detect Answered State: Yes
- Call Settings - Outgoing Calls - Auto Detect Max Time (Seconds): 4 ---------------> Change to 100
- Call Settings - Outgoing Calls - Restart Recording Upon Answered: Yes

Still not working. Person on the other end sounds still terrible. Gain is too high. Group 1 and group 5 settings doesn't work properly, ALSA settings make trouble as above. :(
I think that grup 1 and 5 are connected with SU polity (like in sklavex call recorder).

Many users said recorded calls are crystal clear in two directions using the Alsa settings above, however a few users said the caller's voice is distorted.
We have not figured out what makes the difference so far.

boldbeast wrote:

Many users said recorded calls are crystal clear in two directions using the Alsa settings above, however a few users said the caller's voice is distorted.
We have not figured out what makes the difference so far.

It might be the minority of calls that are HD Voice (via voLTE). The sampling rate or something else might change in those cases.

Another possibility when it comes to Nexus devices is that the calls occasionally go over wifi if the user is on Google Fi.

Im on Pure nexus (7.1.2-20170612) and cant get it to work properly.

It sounds good from my side but its both laggy and it skips every few seconds when I try to listen at the recording.

It worked great before, so I assume its because of android 7.1.2?

Using the Alsa settings from the thread btw.

Please
- check if there are settings in your phone (not in Boldbeast Recorder) such as "Sound Enhance", "Echo Cancel", "Noise Suppress" etc, disable them and test again.
- disable the "Settings > Google > Search > Voice > OK Google detection > From any screen" option and test again.

42 (edited by xtruss 2017-07-13 09:38:13)

attackbjorn wrote:

Im on Pure nexus (7.1.2-20170612) and cant get it to work properly.

It sounds good from my side but its both laggy and it skips every few seconds when I try to listen at the recording.

It worked great before, so I assume its because of android 7.1.2?

Using the Alsa settings from the thread btw.

I have the same setup, and also the same issue..  I have been using pure nexus for a few months with no issue. (did the last updated of PN on the 13th June)
Listening to my calls, i have pin pointed the date things changed, everything and including the 25th June was fine, everything from the 26th June onwards sounds like the recording is being played in fast forward.
So i don't think it's an issue with Pure nexus.
Now looking at boldbeast on google play it shows ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Updated
26 June 2017

So to me it looks like i got the update on the 26th as some point, and that is when things starting go wrong.

I am happy to test the previous version if that can be made available?

On 2017-06-24 we released Boldbeast Recorder V9.3, comparing to V9.2 it changed nothing related to this problem.

A user sent a recorded call to me, I listened to it, as attackbjorn said "it sounds laggy and it skips every few seconds". Most possibly it is related to some settings in the phone like "Sound Enhance", "Echo Cancel", "Noise Suppress" etc, or related to some apps that can change audio settings. Please check the post #41 above.

Anyway I have just sent the previous version V9.2 to xtruss by email, please receive it.

44 (edited by drnizeguy 2017-07-16 20:15:18)

Also experiencing the same problem as discussed.
Now, I have a (Titanium) Backup of 9.2 and 9.3 so I can test both versions.
Restoring version 9.2 everything works fine, crispy clear playback.

Removing v9.2 and restoring v9.3 and playback is stuttering. I haven't compared the settings yet so I dont know if these are the same, but to me it looks like something wrong in v9.3

-edit-
Settings are the same on both versions.
If you need more info or want to test something I'm happy to help.

Really? It's strange.
Need more users to confirm it.

Update
======
Another user tested V9.3 and V9.2, the result is exactly the same.
The problem has nothing to do with the version of Boldbeast Recorder. Please check the post #41 above.

g13621 wrote:

it sound like fast forward.

This is because the sampling rate is not right.
If you are using the Alsa mode to record calls, please change the "Alsa Sampling Rate" option in Boldbeast Recorder to 8000, 16000, 32000, 44100, 48000 and test them one by one, you'll find one of them records calls crystal clear, then please use that one.

47 (edited by drnizeguy 2017-07-20 09:07:16)

Aha! Changing the "Alsa Sampling Rate" indeed fixes the problem. Thanks

drnizeguy wrote:

Glad to know it.

drnizeguy wrote:

What sample rate did you use in the end?
Ive tried 48000 , 8000 and 32000 but it still skipped.

Thanks
Russell.

If some calls recorded are crystal clear, however some calls recorded sounds like "the caller's voice is too high, it's a little distorted or garbled", please see the post #57 in this page https://www.boldbeast.com/forum/topic11 … us-5x.html to know how to fix it.