Hi All,

Checking to see if anyone else is experiencing my issue. 

Rooted Google Pixel 4, Android 11.  BoldBeast worked well on the same device and Android 10.  Can’t recall the approximate Android 11 update install date, but I have been away from BoldBeast since November 2020.  Haven’t used until I installed v14.7 last week (end of February). 

My Phone App began crashing – phone would freeze and I would have to force a restart.  This happened consistently for about 5 days.

I did a hard reset.  I reinstalled the bare basics, limited apps.  Only system and integrated apps installed.  I used the rooted phone (Feb 2021 Google Flame image) as normal WITHOUT BoldBeast for a few days.  No Phone App crashing.  Then, I disabled Assistant and followed this post point by point - https://www.boldbeast.com/forum/post9005.html#p9005.

CallRecordingFix Module is installed in Magisk. 

On a phone with limited apps, BoldBeast installed, Root Options enabled, Phone App began crashing again.  Appears to happen primarily when receiving calls.

Anyone else experiencing?

Thanks,
Gavin.

Boldbeast Recorder V14.7 added the new Alsa2 Mode (root needed), it's very powerful.

No need to install the CallRecordingFix module. No other requirements. Just set Record Mode to "Alsa2 Mode", it will work at once, and recordings will be crystal clear in both sides. And the problem you said will disappear.

I stopped using this app about a year ago since going to Android 11 because of this.  Pixel 4 XL.  Tried with and without fix module.

cryppie wrote:

I stopped using this app about a year ago since going to Android 11 because of this.  Pixel 4 XL.  Tried with and without fix module.

Please use the new Alsa2 Mode to record calls. It works great.

I have precisely the same problem:  the phone freezes at the conclusion of any call (in or out), requiring a hard reboot (and then the phone goes into a boot loop if I don't immediately reboot with Power button).  No recording results in the Call List (and I have specified SAF and a Clip Saving folder which exists).  As soon as I disable Rooted Options, the phone reverts to normal behavior (no freeze after calls), but no recording is made in any non-root Record Mode 1-14.  OnePlus 7Pro, Android 11, OOS v11.0.1.1, Magisk v23, BoldBeast v14.7 from the website, Alsa2, no CallFixModule installed, Google Assistant disabled, no Accessibility, no tweaks except Change Audio Controls (which is checked by default), no other recording apps installed (AFAIK).  Under Android 10 BoldBeast worked perfectly, with the same set of apps installed.  I am sending the hardware log to Administrator ...

I checked your log files.

Boldbeast didn't make your phone reboot or boot loop. Actually the app is impossible to make the result, because it only changes audio related settings to enable call recording, and the settings will be reset by Android to their original values upon power on. For this reason Boldbeast is 100% safe. Instead please check other apps or other Magisk modules that may make your phone reboot or boot loop.

From your log files I saw Boldbeast failed to record calls using the Alsa2 mode, that's because your phone silently killed the root process of Boldbeast, and this made the problem. Please power off and power on the phone, then it will be fixed.

I have powered off/on and restarted the phone dozens of times; the freezing problem is not solved.

> Instead please check other apps or other Magisk modules that may make your phone reboot or boot loop.

No Magisk modules are installed. I could delete all my apps and start from scratch (which would be very painful), but the fact is, the apps were the same under Android 10. It is difficult to escape the conclusion that Android 11/OOS 11 is the critical difference, and there is some element that v14.7 is unaware of.  Apart from Magisk itself, what app has the authority to "silently kill" the root process of Boldbeast?  According to Magisk, Boldbeast is a Superuser.

I'm emailing a list of installed, enabled third-party packages.  Do you see any conflicting recorder app in this list?

You said it still doesn't work after power off then power on.
Can you please click "Call Settings - Fix Recording Issues - Ask New Parameters" in Boldbeast Recorder to send new log files to me? Let me have a look at them. Thanks.
At first please confirm you are using the latest version of Boldbeast Recorder (currently V14.8).

boldbeast wrote:

Can you please ... send new log files to me? ...
At first please confirm you are using the latest version of Boldbeast Recorder (currently V14.8).

Just updated to new v14.8 (from your website).  Do you want logs before the call, or after the call and the freeze -- because BB is still freezing after every call.  At the moment of freeze, I also get the message "System UI isn't responding" with the choices "Close app" or "Wait".  If I do not respond, phone shuts down.

I've sent you logs after a call+freeze+hard reboot -- because immediately after a call I have no further operability ... so this is the same as "before a call"

I checked your new log files.

2021-06-10 20:12:03
You rebooted the phone. When the app asked for root access, you refused it, or you didn't grant the permission to it within 10 seconds so Magisk refused it.

2021-06-10 20:18:53
You made a call, and the app failed to record it with the Alsa2 mode. The reason is, you didn't grant root access to it as required by the Alsa2 mode.

From your log files I didn't see signs of "BB is freezing after every call",  "System UI isn't responding", "Close app", "Wait" etc. On the contrary, I saw the app works normally.

About 1 minute after bootup, Magisk notifies "Boldbeast Recorder was granted Superuser rights" -- there is no request for root access, which has already been permanently granted -- i.e. no action for me to take -- I refused nothing.  See screenshots attached with hardware log. Root options are enabled, Alsa2 is enabled.  I make a 30 second call, then terminate that call.  Boldbeast does not turn off the big red button -- it stays lit (NOT the behavior under Android 10!), and the phone is frozen.  No hardware or software buttons respond, except Power+VolumeUp (which shuts down the phone after a long press).  Upon reboot, the "Call List" does not include this call.

Another peculiar thing is that Magisk repeats that "Boldbeast Recorder was granted Superuser rights" when I try to get New Parameters ...

And yes, of course:  usually my Boldbeast Root Options are disabled, because I need to have a functioning phone.  I only enable Rooted Options for these experiments, which always crash my phone and render it dysfunctional.  So what you saw in the last-previous log ZIP was at least one call with Root Options disabled.  In the log sent today, the call with Root Options *enabled* occurred shortly after  2021-06-11 18:00:00 hours.  The stock Phone app "History" does NOT even SHOW this call!! As if it never happened... because the phone froze on hangup, so it wasn't registered.  I would not be surprised if your logs also are not registering ANY of the calls I make with Root Options enabled!

The number I called shortly after 18:00 on 2021-06-11 was +1 805-637-7243.  If you see that call in the logs, then that was with phone freshly rebooted/root options fully enabled/Superuser granted/Alsa2 (per screenshots)/big red button fully lit. If you do not see that call, then we're spinning wheels ...

Thank you for reporting this very detailed information.

We added the new Alsa2 Mode from Boldbeast Recorder V14.5. We checked the Android source code provided by Google, it should work on all Android 10 and newer phones. However it seems OnePlus changed the Google standard code, and that made the Alsa2 mode not working on OnePlus Android 11 phones. In this case please:

- In your phone (not in Boldbeast) open "Settings > Accessibility", on some phones the location may be "Settings > System > Accessibility", and enable "Boldbeast Call Recorder" on the screen.

- In Boldbeast Recorder use these settings to record calls:
  Record Mode: 12
  Fix Recording Issues - Change Audio Controls: Yes

Now it should work.

I followed your instructions to the letter. The phone freezes after the call, with all hard and soft buttons unresponsive (except long press of Power+VolumeUp). Upon reboot, no call is registered in either the Boldbeast Call List or the phone app's History (although the call certainly occurred and everything was normal until I terminated the call, at which point the big red button remained illuminated -- clearly Boldbeast had lost control over the process, reflecting the phone's suddenly frozen state).

The freeze seems to be entirely dependent on whether Rooted Options are enabled or not.  If I *disable* Rooted Options, leaving all other settings the same (Record Mode 12, Accessibility enabled), the phone does NOT freeze, the call is registered in both the Boldbeast Call List and the phone app History.  Played back, my local voice is crystal clear, but the remote voice is muffled and unintelligible.

It would be illuminating to learn the experience of other OOS 11 users under  v14.7 or v14.8 ...

As I said, root option didn't make your phone frozen. Only the "root + alsa2" will make it frozen. Why? Because OnePlus changed standard Android code. So,
- OnePlus Android 11 can't use the alsa2 mode. But it can use other modes.
- Other phones can use the alsa2 mode and other modes.

Now please enable the root option, use settings said in the post #14 above, it will work at once. The "remote voice is muffled and unintelligible" problem will disappear, and your recordings will be crystal clear in both sides.

My experience mirrors that of rjh.  The latest solution offered in post #14 does keep the phone from freezing up after the call for me, however it is not recording my side of the conversation either.  I have a rooted OnePlus 7 Pro, running Android 11, Lineage 18.1, Magisk v23, BoldBeast 14.8 (from your site, not the play store).

Glad the phone is no longer freezing.
Usually users meet the "not recording the other side of the conversation" problem, but you said "not recording my side", are you sure?

UPDATE 1
I guess you are recording calls via bluetooth headset or usb headset, and only in these cases it will "not recording my side". Why? Because I checked files sent to me by rjh and found the audio driver provided by Qualcomm has bugs. So all phones that have the Qualcomm SDM855 chipset inside will suffer the same pain, if the manufacturer didn't fix the bugs.

UPDATE 2
We have just released Boldbeast Recorder V14.9. It will fix the bugs for OnePlus 7 Pro (and possibly other phones that have the Qualcomm SDM855 chipset inside). Now you can record calls in both sides via bluetooth headset or usb headset. Please use one of the settings suggested in the post #20.

I did follow your instructions in #14.  Apart from the OnePlus 11/Alsa2 incompatibility, another area where I have been ignorant is Accessibility.  In Settings => System => Accessibility, I set Boldbeast "On".  But there are also additional options in this Accessibility menu, including display of a fourth soft button on the Home/Back/Background Programs row.  If I enable that button, I am then asked whether I want to assign Boldbeast to it (whatever that means).  I tried this, and found that each button press served as a toggle of basic Boldbeast Accessibility, from On to Off to On and et cetera -- a toggle.  So I disabled the button, which now seems to stabilize Boldbeast's basic Accessibility state as "On" (thus only manipulable in Settings), whereas before Bb Accessibility often turned Off seemingly by itself (obviously, I must have touched the soft button unintentionally).  I have no bloody idea what purpose Accessibility serves (and I've been an avid Android user for 10+ years), but anyway ... this instability of On|Off may have been an additional and fundamental problem.

In Record Mode 12, I am now getting listenable calls -- for 2 whole days.  The sound is unusually "spacious", as if recorded in a large room, but it is clear enough. Would other Record Modes work besides 12 and yield different results?  Because there is no description of the technical parameters/purposes of each Mode (or of things like Change Audio Controls or CallRecordingFix Module or Tune Audio Effect), trying each one individually is like shooting ducks in the dark -- and quite time-consuming, given the exponential number of variables.  (I could examine the code, but I don't know where to locate it.)

Thank you for sticking with this learning process to a satisfactory conclusion.  Frustrating for both of us.  I really appreciate it.

Now that you have rooted the phone, Boldbeast Recorder has many ways to fix call recording issues.

(1) You can use these settings to record calls:
- Record Mode: Alsa2
- Fix Recording Issues - Change Audio Controls: Yes
No need to disable OK Google. No need to enable Accessibility. Works great on most phones, but some phones like OnePlus Android 11 don't work.

(2) You can also use these settings to record calls:
- Record Mode: Alsa
- Alsa Device: Alsa Device0
No need to enable Accessibility. Please disable OK Google. See [001] in this page http://www.boldbeast.com/android/call_r … oting.html to know how to disable it.

(3) You can also use these settings to record calls:
- Use Magisk Manager to install the CallRecordingFix module.
- In your phone (not in Boldbeast) open "Settings > Accessibility", on some phones the location may be "Settings > System > Accessibility", and enable "Boldbeast Call Recorder" on the screen.
- Use these settings to record calls:
  Fix Recording Issues - Tune Audio Route: Group1
No need to disable OK Google.

I choose for step 3 in post 20, Accessibility is enabled, callrecordingfix module installed and enabled after a reboot. in recording mode 12, tune audio route group 1 is selected and change audio controls is checked.  The phone is still not getting my side of the audio.  I made three phone calls to test.  On the third one, i turned off my bluetooth before the call, just to make sure it wasn't interfering.  I'll try the second option later today (using alsa, no ok google (which i don't use anyway) and let see if that works for me. I sent my log files too in case that helps.

cbe wrote:

I choose for step 3 in post 20, ... The phone is still not getting my side of the audio

I received your log files and checked them. You are using the third-party Lineage ROM. I saw you have tried settings (1) and (3) in the post #20.

Please use settings (2), and enable the option "Call Settings - Fix Recording Issues - Start Input Stream", then test again. If it works, that's good. Otherwise your ROM has problems inside, and as a result all recorders on the market don't work for sure, so you should switch to another ROM to fix it.

Alaa works for me.

cbe wrote:

Alaa works for me.

Glad your OnePlus 7 Pro Android 11 Lineage ROM works. And I believe the OnePlus official ROM works also for rjh now.

Hi,
I have one plus 5t rooted fhone with android 10  and my fhone is getting in to bootloop sometimes after calls end. I DON'T FIND THE FIX YOU ARE talking about in magisk.

boldbeast wrote:

Now that you have rooted the phone, Boldbeast Recorder has many ways to fix call recording issues.

(1) You can use these settings to record calls:
- Record Mode: Alsa2
No need to disable OK Google. No need to enable Accessibility. Works great on most phones, but some phones like OnePlus Android 11 don't work.

(2) You can also use these settings to record calls:
- Record Mode: Alsa
- Alsa Device: Alsa Device0
No need to enable Accessibility. Please disable OK Google. See [001] in this page http://www.boldbeast.com/android/call_r … oting.html to know how to disable it.

(3) You can also use these settings to record calls:
- Use Magisk Manager to install the CallRecordingFix module.
- Use these settings to record calls:
  Fix Recording Issues - Tune Audio Route: Group1
No need to disable OK Google.