1 (edited by dvdmerwe 2020-09-09 11:14:02)

I have submitted my logs but app was giving this error since I upgraded to Android 11 on Pixel 2 XL with Magisk. I removed the root permission from Magisk for the app, and then re-requested from inside app and granted the permission. Magisk showed permission granted but the app keeps saying it has no root access.

It did appear to work initially but I noticed it only recorded about the last minute of my call. Then started reporting root access permission problems.

My other apps like Titanium Backup are not reporting issues with root access.

2 (edited by Ch3vr0n 2020-09-09 17:59:54)

Was just going to create a topic about this myself. Confirmed for my Pixel 3XL on android 11. Root is perfectly accessible for other apps. Disabled rooted recorder options, tried to re-enable, app reports failure to gain root access. Device is rooted with the latest magisk canary (non-module approach). When trying to re-enable rooted options, app reports error [-3]

About the problem please see this page to know how to fix it:
https://www.boldbeast.com/android/voip_ … oting.html

As I informed by mail, none of that is relevant. I'm not using a custom rom, kernel is not set to permissive. Neither had I installed the Magisk module, didn't need to on the latest Android 10, simply enabling rooted options was enough. Android updates to version 11 and that no longer worked. The only thing that changed was android. Still had 13.7 installed (non Google-Play version).

So SOMETHING in A11 broke the current rooted method. That's all there is to it.

boldbeast wrote:

About the problem please see this page to know how to fix it:
https://www.boldbeast.com/android/voip_ … oting.html

OK that has worked on my default Pixel ROM with Magisk. Bit of a mission though as the SELinux was not being granted root access by Magisk (popup kept disappearing before I could select). Eventually had to make sure busybox was installed, turned Play Protect off, set Magisk to default grant permission, and SDELinux started working and I could choose permissive. After that Boldbeast had root access again. So  my side is sorted.

6 (edited by Ch3vr0n 2020-09-10 18:23:43)

I am NOT going to set selinux to permissive. That's a security risk. It wasn't needed before, so it shouldn't need to be now either. Neither was having to have busybox installed nor sdelinux whatever that is.

I have tried flashing EX kernel but that don't work either.

Boldbeast needs an update to work again with default 'enable rooted options' when being rooted without having to resort to multiple extra aps just to get boldbeast working. It's that simple.

I have just investigated it further more.
Your Magisk version has wrong selinux policies inside, and that made the problem.

Magisk V20.4 released on 2020-03-23 is OK, it works very well.
Later topjohnwu changed many things in Magisk, and released several new versions. In one of the new versions it provided wrong selinux policies that remained in all the new versions.

I saw topjohnwu changed the selinux policies 7 days ago: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/com … 7237e7805f. He added this new line in the policies:
allow(SEPOL_CLIENT_DOMAIN, SEPOL_PROC_DOMAIN, "unix_stream_socket", ALL);

This new line will fix exactly the problem. Please wait for topjohnwu to use the update to make and release a new version of Magisk, then install that new version. It will fix the issue directly, therefore no need to set selinux to permissive.

UPDATE 2020-10-05
Previously I think the line [allow(SEPOL_CLIENT_DOMAIN, SEPOL_PROC_DOMAIN, "unix_stream_socket", ALL);] is used to allow apps to connect to the magisk domain, but actually it's not. My fault, sorry.

The latest situation:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3264

8 (edited by conio.h 2020-09-20 21:17:36)

I've just upgraded my Pixel 3 to Android 11 and rooted it with Magisk Canary built from revision e66b0bf3 (github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/commits/e66b0bf3b2ac1fc95ccc6cebe3d01e455908882a) which includes the commit you mentioned above and has the specific line you noted (github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/blob/e66b0bf3b2ac1fc95ccc6cebe3d01e455908882a/native/jni/magiskpolicy/rules.cpp#L106), but I'm still getting the message and no recording is made.

The full message is: "You enabled root options in Boldbeast Recorder, but the app cannot get the su privilege. Please grant root access to the app, otherwise it cannot apply recording parameters."

Like OP, I removed it from Magisk Manager, let Boldbeast Recorder ask for it again and granted it.

During calls I see a notification that recording is in progress, but when the call ends I get the message from above.

EDIT:
I tried disabling and enabling root options in Boldbeast Recorder. Now I can't get them back again. When I click "Enable Rooted Options" I see the notification at the bottom of the screen saying "Boldbeast Recorder was granted superuser rights" but after a few seconds Boldbeast Recorder itself says it didn't get them and proposes I should root my phone.

Within adb shell I do get root access when I run su and can access privileged directories. Since su works from adb shell this feels like more of a problem in Boldbeast Recorder perhaps?

(I can't post links so add the dot in "githubcom" where necessary.)

That's strange.
Can you please click "Call Settings - Fix Recording Issues - Ask New Parameters" in Boldbeast Recorder to send log files to me? Let me have a look at them and see what happened in your phone. Thanks.

I just sent the logs.

Since my last message I tried a few other call recording apps. I tried Appliqato's Automatic Call Recorder (play[.]google[.]com/store/apps/details?id=com.appstar.callrecorder) that didn't work and then "Call Recorder - Cube ACR" (play[.]google[.]com/store/apps/details?id=com.catalinagroup.callrecorder) that works with default configuration and without asking for root, though the phone is rooted.

Reporting this is happening with Pixel 4. Just flashed a new boot.img with magisk, magisk reports that it has granted SU access to both the VOIP recorder and the call recorder, and they both claim to not have access.  CatLog can access SU just fine. I don't know other SU needing apps that aren't potentially malicious.

I can confirm this is happening on my Pixel 3a XL too.
It is rooted with Magisk Canary.
I uninstalled and deleted everything, reinstalled and tried to enable rooted options. The grant dialog pops up, i grant it root access, the toast notification shows that it was granted Superuser rights but then the app says it cannot enable rooted options.

I checked the log files sent from conio.h.
The problem is exactly the same. Your Magisk version still has wrong selinux policies.If you set selinux to permissive, it works at once.

Well just updated to the latest canary manager and Magisk itself. Even has changelog entry for 'fox selinux for Android 8'. Still can't enable rooted options

15 (edited by anthony.hernandez 2020-09-28 18:19:10)

Ch3vr0n wrote:

Well just updated to the latest canary manager and Magisk itself. Even has changelog entry for 'fox selinux for Android 8'. Still can't enable rooted options

I did the exact same thing, still comes up.

What's the best way to set SELinux Permissive on rooted phones?

EDIT:

Even after trying to set SELinux to permissive, still no go, I followed and article from thecustomdroid

16 (edited by GavinSmith 2020-10-02 14:33:30)

alexandru.stefan01 wrote:

I can confirm this is happening on my Pixel 3a XL too.
It is rooted with Magisk Canary.
I uninstalled and deleted everything, reinstalled and tried to enable rooted options. The grant dialog pops up, i grant it root access, the toast notification shows that it was granted Superuser rights but then the app says it cannot enable rooted options.

+1 more.

Same exact issue as post 12 and same steps followed. 

Magisk Canary installed on 9/27 directly from the TopJohnWu GitHub link.

I can hear myself clearly but cannot hear the other side.

* edit *
still unable to "enable rooted options", but noticed a bizarre occurrence.  I typically use a bluetooth headset during calls.  When doing so, I can hear myself clearly but cannot hear the other side.

Tried without a headset.  I can hear the otherside and myself.  Hope this helps troubleshoot.

Rooted Pixel 4, Android 11 installed Sept 27th.

Same problem with a Pixel 3a and Magisk 21 released today.
Will it be fixed with a new release of the call recorder?

A user installed the latest Magisk 21 on his Pixel 3 XL Android 11, and he sent log files to me.
I checked the log files. Magisk 21 still has the selinux problem.

boldbeast wrote:

A user installed the latest Magisk 21 on his Pixel 3 XL Android 11, and he sent log files to me.
I checked the log files. Magisk 21 still has the selinux problem.

Do you think you can write to the developer to try to fix the problem?

I have just asked the question here:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3257

I saw the reply but I have no idea of what it means... do you think you can fix the problem?

Thanks to topjohnwu, now he wants to help us:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3264

Thanks to WimVDK for providing the logcat file.

Was in bed and blow have to go to work. Have the box, can't attach directly will do that later today

Any resolution?  Boldbeast still inoperable on Android 11?

Regret that topjohnwu finally decide not to change Magisk.
So we'll investigate how to change our app to fix it.

UPDATE 2020-11-22
----------------------------
We have just released the new version of Boldbeast Recorder V14.2. Please update the app on your phone to V14.2.
The problem has been fixed, and Android 11 works great now.

Google Play may need time to publish it. If at this moment the new version is unavailable in your area please download it from our web site: https://www.boldbeast.com/android/call_recorder.html