I've tried so many variants from similar s4 posts on this forum,  but none have worked at all. I can't even get it to record a file at all,  much less a file with one or both sides of the conversation.

My Galaxy S4  SPH-L720 (Sprint)  is rooted.
Running Android 5.0.1.

Please help!  I feel like I've tried several dozen different options in all the settings and nothing seems to work.

You said "I can't even get it to record a file at all", so at first, please uninstall all other recorders.

Please use these settings to record calls without root:
- Record Mode: 4 or 1
- Tune Audio Route: No
- Tune Samsung1: Yes
- Tune Samsung2: Yes
- Tune Samsung3: Group1

Does it work? If not, please use these settings to record calls with root:
- Record Mode: 4 or 1
- Tune Audio Route: No
- Tune Samsung1: No
- Tune Samsung2: No
- Tune Samsung3: No
- Change Audio Controls: Yes
- Change Audio Driver: No
- Start Input Stream: test Yes and No

Tried every variant of the suggested settings you gave me... none seem to work... When I hit the record button mid-call, it turns red for only 5 seconds, and then reverts back to its default state... No calls seem to be recorded as the recording history is still empty after several dozen attempts.

I've removed all other recording apps I could find, even tried removing the stock android voice recorder.

Any other ideas??

Did you try to record VOIP calls? At this moment all recorders can't record VOIP calls, only normal calls can be recorded.
If not, can you please click the "Call Settings - Fix Recording Issues - Ask New Parameters" item in Boldbeast Recorder to send hardware log files to me? let us have a look at them and see what happened. Thanks.

Galaxy S4: Galaxy S4 Call Recorder
Galaxy S4 GT-I9500: Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 Call Recorder
Galaxy S4 GT-I9505: Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 Call Recorder
Galaxy S4 SCH-I545: Galaxy S4 SCH-I545 Call Recorder
Galaxy S4 SGH-I337: Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 Call Recorder
Galaxy S4 SGH-M919: Galaxy S4 SGH-M919 Call Recorder
Galaxy S4 SPH-L720: Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 Call Recorder
Galaxy S4 CM11: Galaxy S4 CM11 Call Recorder
Galaxy S4 CM12: Galaxy S4 CM12 Call Recorder

Apologies for the lag checking back to the forum... slipped my mind.

Submitted the logs as requested from my phone. Feel free to contact me via the email through which I sent them for a much speedier reply.

Looking forward to testing out any new parameters / configurations you can come up with to solve this!

I checked your log files.
Your phone (Android 5.0.1) can't use Record Mode 4, instead please use Record Mode 1 and suggested settings above to record calls.