Huawei disabled the call recording feature of Nexus 6P Android 6.0. You should root your phone to fix the problem.

After root, please use these settings to record calls:
- Record Mode: 1 or 5
- Record Format: MP4
- Tune Audio Effect: No
- Tune Audio Route: Group3
- Change Audio Controls: Yes
- Change Audio Driver: No
- Start Input Stream: Yes

Or use these settings to record calls:
- Record Mode: Alsa
- Alsa Channels: 2 Channels
- Tune Audio Route: Group3
- Start Input Stream: Yes

It records calls perfectly in two directions.

Root
========
No matter SuperSU or Magisk, no matter Systemless Root or not, Boldbeast works very well with all of them.

Updated 1
========
Please also change following options then Android 6.0, 6.0.1, 7.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2 all work well.

- Call Settings - Incoming Calls - Auto Detect Answered State: Yes
- Call Settings - Incoming Calls - Auto Detect Max Time (Seconds): 4 ---------------> Change to 100
- Call Settings - Incoming Calls - Restart Recording Upon Answered: Yes

- Call Settings - Outgoing Calls - Auto Detect Answered State: Yes
- Call Settings - Outgoing Calls - Auto Detect Max Time (Seconds): 4 ---------------> Change to 100
- Call Settings - Outgoing Calls - Restart Recording Upon Answered: Yes

Users reported the stock Huawei ROM and the PureNexus ROM work very well, recorded calls are crystal clear in two sides.

Updated 2
========
If some calls recorded are crystal clear, however some calls recorded sounds like "the caller's voice is too high, it's a little distorted or garbled", please see the post #57 in this page https://www.boldbeast.com/forum/topic11 … us-5x.html to know how to fix it.

Updated 3 (Android 8.0 / 8.1)
=========================
Please update Boldbeast Recorder to V10.4. Thanks to Adrian, he figured out following settings work perfectly in Android 8.0 Oreo:

- Record Mode: Alsa
- Record Format: MP3
- Alsa Device: Auto (In some ROMs set to "Device0")
- Alsa Bits: Auto
- Alsa Channels: Auto
- Alsa Sampling Rate: 44100
- Tune Audio Route: No
- Start Input Stream: No

"Everything is OK, the recording is nice and clear, no skipping, no background noise, very good quality."

Google Pixel 4: Google Pixel 4 Call Recorder
Google Pixel 3a: Google Pixel 3a Call Recorder
Google Pixel 3: Google Pixel 3 Call Recorder
Google Pixel 2: Google Pixel 2 Call Recorder
Google Pixel: Google Pixel Call Recorder
Nexus 6P: Nexus 6P Call Recorder
Nexus 6:  Nexus 6 Call Recorder
Nexus 5X: Nexus 5X Call Recorder
Nexus 5:  Nexus 5 Call Recorder
Nexus 4:  Nexus 4 Call Recorder

Thank you for this.

I'm running a rooted Nexus 6P on Verizon. The first option in your post does not seem to work. The second option (using Alsa) seems to work. I'm still early in my testing process. If this works reliably, I'll be happy to purchase the premium version to support your work.

Glad to know it works for you.

Even if you root your Nexus 6P, you still don't have much choices. You'll find all other recorders and all other customized ROMs still can't record calls well.
Indeed Boldbeast Recorder is the only solution in the world so far, it records calls crystal clear in two sides.

Is there a technical limitation requiring Alsa Mode to record only as WAV instead of another format like MP4 (AAC)?  (By design or not, the format selection option disappears when Alsa is selected.)

If so, would it be possible to add a post-call feature to convert from WAV to another format (e.g. MP4)?  That would allow for reduced transfer time when using the cloud backup feature as well as reduced storage consumption on the device and cloud account.

At this moment we are dealing with Android 7.0 related problems.
Thanks for your suggestion, when we have time we'll consider it.

Hi there I love your app but since I updated to the latest build MTC19X everytime I record a call longer than about 5 minutes it soft reboots my phone.  I have a nexus 6p rooted.  If I turn off the recording using the record overlay button it won't crash.  And if I disable the app it does not crash.  I am using the recommended settings posted in this post and had no problems u til this latest update.  I was wondering if there is anything I can change to stop this from happening.  Thank you

The app doesn't do anything special at 5 minutes, I have no idea why your phone reboots.
Does any one else with the latest build MTC19X met this problem?

@boldbeast @acook86,

I am also running MTC19X on my rooted Nexus 6P.  I just purchased the pro version so I could try to replicate the reboot issue reported by acook86.

I was hoping it was an isolated issue, but I can confirm that the same happens on my device as well.  Does the app create any debug logs that I can submit?

Yes, please click the "Call Settings - Fix Recording Issues - Ask New Parameters" item in Boldbeast Recorder to send hardware log files to me, let me have a look at them and see what happened. Thanks.

Thanks to acook86 for sending me the log files. I checked your log files, I saw some recordings were less than 5 minutes, some recordings were more than 5 minutes (for example 6 minutes, 9 minutes etc), they were saved correctly.

I didn't see the "about 5 minutes it soft reboots my phone" problem.
Actually during recording the app is just doing "read data stream - save to file - read data stream - save to file" repeatedly, it does nothing else, it doesn't reboot the phone. Please check again. If needed please check other apps in your phone that may be related to the problem.

13 (edited by mdoerner1 2016-08-23 22:11:26)

I am running Android 7.0 Nougat on my Nexus 6P. On my rooted phone, I get this error when trying to Fix Recording Issues -> Enable Rooted Options:
"[-3] Cannot enable rooted options. You should root your phone first, and allow Boldbeat Recorder to get the su privilage. Please google "Root Nexus 6P" for more information."

1.) The phone (Nexus 6P) s rooted under Android 7.0 (NRD90M)
2.) Root status has been verified with the "Root Checker" app. Device is rooted.
3.) This did not occur under Marshmallow 6.01...any variant.
4.) Phone was rooted with Nexus Root Tool Kit from Wugfresh.

Is there any other thing you need me to check before going on a bug hunt? Thanks.

Mike Doerner

Android 7.0 changed something inside, Boldbeast Recorder V8.6 fails getting root access. Please update the app to V8.7, it supports Android 7.0.

Any ideas on why Boldbeast can't record with the update? Although I have root access (and it is working), Boldbeast now cannot record, and I get an error message during a call that it cannot record.

Mike Doerner

I received your log files and checked them.
Another user is using exactly the same ROM as you but he didn't meet this problem. If you uninstall the app then reinstall it, how about it?

I have finally got Boldbeast to work on my rooted Nexus 6P (NRD90M build), albeit the recording is still distorted and low volume, but usable. In case somebody can make use of them, my settings are:

Record Mode -> Mode 1
Record Format -> MP4
Tune Audio Effect -> Off
Change Audio Controls -> On
Start Input Stream -> On

I am going to experiment some more with the Mode settings, but ALSA does not work at all on my phone.

I hope the developer can make some more tweaks so that that the volume is louder and the distortion is cleared up. I realize that the Nexus 6P is a strange bird buit I am sure there is a work around somewhere...

Can you please click the "Call Settings - Fix Recording Issues - Ask New Parameters" item in Boldbeast Recorder to send hardware log files to me? let us have a look at them and see what happened.
Thanks.

19 (edited by r0ni3 2016-09-08 15:20:05)

hi, with the OnePlus it worked very well .

but with the nexus 6P I can not use it .
I bought the license because I believe in the project and want to support the dev :)

how should I configure it ?

NEXUS 6P NRD90M root, and V8.7 test version.

thank you!

edit:
alsa mode not work.
record mode 1 or 5 very bad bad quality :(

is there finally a resolution for boldbeast working on nexus 6p nougat?

what are the settings?

+1

Waiting for the Boldbeast back to 6p 7.0 :)

Waiting on Nougat support too.. I really need this app to work!

Can you please post the exact settings for a rooted Nexus 6p on the latest firmware (NBD90X) HERE in the Nexus 6p thread?  The page you linked to above is incomplete and the settings don't work.

Whenever I start a call and press the record button, the app shuts down and I get the error message "Boldbeast Call Recorder keeps stopping."  I have never managed to get it to work.

We have just released the new version V9.0, bugs have been fixed, now Nexus 6P both Android 6.x and 7.x work great.
Please update Boldbeast Recorder in your phone to V9.0, use the Alsa settings listed in post #1 above, recorded calls are crystal clear in two sides.

Hi -  Do I have to root my Nexus 6p to get the recorder to work?
Thanks