Huawei Mate 20 Pro, does it work without root?

Huawei Mate 20 / Mate 20 Pro Android 9.0 need root, otherwise you can only record your own voice, the caller's voice is very weak in recordings, no matter what recorder you are using in the market. Boldbeast Recorder can fix the problem if you root the phone.

After root the phone please use following settings to record calls:

- Record Mode: Alsa
- Alsa Device: Auto
- Alsa Bits: Auto, 16 Bits
- Alsa Channels: Auto
- Alsa Sampling Rate: Auto
- Fix Recording Issues - Change Audio Controls: No
- Fix Recording Issues - Change Audio Driver: No

Update 2018-11-26
===============
Great news! Thanks to Kuldeep Clair, he figured out following settings in Boldbeast Recorder works well:

- Record Mode: 12
- Fix Recording Issues - Tune Audio Route: Group1

Recorded calls are clear in both sides, no root needed.

Update 2018-11-27
===============
Some users confirmed settings suggested by Kuldeep Clair above work great without root. However some users reported their phones still don't work well with the settings.

The manufacturer enables or disables features according to market areas, therefore the ROM is a little different from country to country, from area to area. This is the reason why in some countries the settings work great, in some countries they don't work. If they don't work, you should root the phone and use the Alsa settings above.

Android 10
https://www.boldbeast.com/forum/topic20 … rding.html

Huawei P30: Huawei P30 Call Recorder
Huawei P20: Huawei P20 Call Recorder
Huawei P10: Huawei P10 Call Recorder
Huawei P9: Huawei P9 Call Recorder
Huawei P8: Huawei P8 Call Recorder
Huawei Mate 20: Huawei Mate 20 Call Recorder
Huawei Mate 10: Huawei Mate 10 Call Recorder
Huawei Mate 9: Huawei Mate 9 Call Recorder
Huawei Mate 8: Huawei Mate 8 Call Recorder
Huawei Honor 10 View: Huawei Honor 10 View Call Recorder
Huawei Honor 9: Huawei Honor 9 Call Recorder
Huawei Honor 8: Huawei Honor 8 Call Recorder

Any ETA when non-rooted variant could be available? Or is it a limitation of Android 9.0? At the moment there is AFAIK no known public solution how to root the device.

I'm afraid there will be no solution without root. Android 9.0 limits the call recording feature very strictly, it's impossible to bypass the limit. Root is the only way to go.

mate 20 pro is not rooted i tried the settings - my voice records perfect - opposite party voice is very weak - any other tweaks needed?

charymk wrote:

mate 20 pro is not rooted i tried the settings - my voice records perfect - opposite party voice is very weak - any other tweaks needed?

If suggested settings by Kuldeep Clair still don't work for you, I'm afraid you should root the phone.

Mate 20 Pro. Record mode 1. No root.  Android Pie. Records both ways. The other party is somewhat quiter but it is very usable. When I find time I will check other modes.
However, I have another problem. Boldbeast tend to shut down after few hours of use.  I have excluded Boldbeast recorder in battery optimization (worked perfectly with Mate 9 and Android 8).  Since I use it in the car, it is quit annoying (and dangerous) having to check weather the app is active or not.

zatezalo wrote:

Boldbeast tend to shut down after few hours of use.

Your phone killed Boldbeast Recorder.
Recent Huawei phones kill apps aggressively. You should "lock" the app from being killed. Please see [002] in this page http://www.boldbeast.com/android/call_r … oting.html to know how to do it.

Yes, I am aware of that. However I did exclude battery optimization for BR and still after few hours (I can not tell precisely) it shuts down. Or to be more accurate Mate 20 shuts it down. I could be that I have to tweak it at some other place but I do not know where.

You should "LOCK" the boldbeast app.
Please see [002] in this page http://www.boldbeast.com/android/call_r … oting.html to know how to LOCK it.

There is no lock option in recent apps, on my phone. I have tried to lock it through settings/security&privacy/applock and although it did lock the app it didn't help.
Now I am contemplating rooting my phone. Would rooting the phone and using options for rooted phone return names and phones in call list?

If the telephone number is 00000000 and the contact name is "Unknown", please see [007] in this page http://www.boldbeast.com/android/call_r … oting.html to know how to fix it.

I have managed to get it all working! I am posting all I have done for others to try.

1.  Download the Boldbeast Recorder from the Boldbeast page and install it. You get the phone numbers back.
2.  Settings-Battery-App launch-Boldbeast recorder/ change to: manage manually (make sure that all three options are on)

The app is working and Huawei is not killing the process.

zatezalo wrote:

I have managed to get it all working! I am posting all I have done for others to try.

1.  Download the Boldbeast Recorder from the Boldbeast page and install it. You get the phone numbers back.
2.  Settings-Battery-App launch-Boldbeast recorder/ change to: manage manually (make sure that all three options are on)

The app is working and Huawei is not killing the process.

Thank you for sharing the information. It's surely helpful to other Huawei phone users.

boldbeast wrote:

I'm afraid there will be no solution without root. Android 9.0 limits the call recording feature very strictly, it's impossible to bypass the limit. Root is the only way to go.

Loudspeaker: ON = Recordings: PERFECT ;-)

roberto.schweizer wrote:

Loudspeaker: ON = Recordings: PERFECT ;-)

Yes, if you switch on the speaker the app records calls good. You can even set the option "Auto Switch Speaker On" in the app to automatically switch on the speaker.

But it's not convenient when you are in the office, in the library, or in some other public places.

I am sorry to say but  after the latest Emui update the recorder stopped working properly. As everyone is saying the other party is very, very weak. Contemplating rooting now.

19 (edited by smithclarkson001 2020-02-03 20:22:03)

There is no lock choice in late applications, on my telephone. I have attempted to bolt it through settings/security&privacy/applock and despite the fact that it locked the application it didn't help.  VidMate VLC 9Appsapk.vin
Presently I am thinking about establishing my telephone. Would establishing the telephone and utilizing choices for established telephone return names and telephones in call list?

Please install Boldbeast Recorder from https://www.boldbeast.com/android/call_recorder.html directly to overwrite the version in your phone, at once the telephone number and contact name problem will disappear.
Why? Please see [007] in this page http://www.boldbeast.com/android/call_r … oting.html to know the reason.
Don't uninstall the app then reinstall it. Instead please install and overwrite it directly, so that all your settings and recordings will remain unchanged.