We checked built-in files of Moto G, Motorola intentionally disabled the call recording feature of the phone, because several important parameters related to call recording were deleted. As a result you can't record calls in two directions, no matter you use what call recorder in the market - no recorder works.

If you root your phone to give Boldbeast Recorder the "root" permission, Boldbeast Recorder can fix this issue. Please use these settings to record:
- Record Mode: 1, 5, 7
- Tune Audio Effect: No
- Tune Audio Route: Group3
- Change Audio Controls: Yes
Now your phone records calls clearly and loudly in two directions.

Boldbeast Call Recorder supports all following Moto G and Moto G 2nd phones:

Moto G
==========
XT1008
XT1028
XT1031
XT1032
XT1033
XT1034
XT1035
XT1039
XT1040
XT1042
XT1045
XT937C
XT939G

Moto G 2nd
==========
XT1063
XT1064
XT1068
XT1069
XT1072
XT1077

UPDATED 2015-03-09
==================
Good news!
We have just released Boldbeast Recorder V7.5, now Moto G / Moto G 2nd no longer need root, just install the app and go.
Finally, your Moto G / Moto G 2nd can record calls perfectly in two sides without root. Supports Android 4.4 and 5.0.

Please install the latest version of Boldbeast Recorder, use following settings to record calls:

- Record Mode: 1, 5 or 7
- Record Format: WAV or 3GP/MP4/AMR (WAV is suggested. Some phones don't work with 3GP/MP4/AMR)
- Tune Audio Route: Group3

If possible please upgrade to Android 5.0, it works better than Android 4.4.

UPDATED 2015-05-13
==================
Warning!
If you want to upgrade to Android 5.1, please have a look at here Moto G / Moto G 2nd Android 5.1 Call Recording
If you want to upgrade to Android 6.0, please have a look at here Moto G / Moto G 2nd Android 6.0 Call Recording

CM12: CM12 Call Recorder
CM13: CM13 Call Recorder

Moto G6: Moto G6 call recorder
Moto G5S: Moto G5S call recorder
Moto G5: Moto G5 call recorder
Moto G4 Play: Moto G4 Play call recorder
Moto G4: Moto G 4th call recorder
Moto G3 Turbo Edition XT1556/7: Moto G Turbo Edition Call Recorder
Moto G3: Moto G 3rd Call Recorder
Moto G2, G1: Moto G call recorder
Moto Z2 Force: Moto Z2 Call Recorder
Moto Z Force / Moto Z Play: Moto Z Call Recorder
Moto X4: Moto X4 Call Recorder
Moto X Play XT1562: Moto X Play Call Recorder
Moto X Style XT1570/2/5: Moto X Style Call Recorder
Moto X Force XT1580/1: Moto X Force Call Recorder
Moto E4: Moto E4 Call Recorder
Moto E3: Moto E3 Call Recorder
Moto M: Moto M Call Recorder

3 (edited by boldbeast 2015-02-11 15:24:17)

We know the call recording feature of Moto G Android 4.x is disabled by Motorola, all recorders don't work well without root.
Recently, many Moto G users have updated to Android 5.0.2, the call recording feature is still disabled by Motorola. But things have some changes.

Several XT1033 Android 5.0.2 users told us, Boldbeast Recorder records calls perfectly in two directions, No Root Needed, just use following settings:
- Record Mode: 1
- Record Format: WAV
- WAV Sample Rate: Auto
- Tune Special: Yes

Several XT1068 Android 5.0.2 users told us, Boldbeast Recorder records calls perfectly in two directions, No Root Needed, just use following settings:
- Record Mode: 7
- Call Settings - Incoming Calls - Auto Detect Max Time (Seconds): 55

It seems XT1033, XT1068, XT1069 Android 4.4.4 and 5.0.2 ROMs have a bug inside, the built-in MediaServer crashes now and then if you use 3GP, MP4, AMR formats to record, so don't use them. please use WAV format instead.

I have tried the setting in my moto g 2nd mobile. It is not recording both side voice correctly.

Some Moto Xt1033, XT1068 users said Boldbeast Recorder can record calls in two sides without root, some other users said not.
We checked the XT1039 Android 5.0.2 ROM (it's almost the same as XT1033, XT1068 internally) and found the reason.

We'll fix the problem in the coming new version V7.5, hope we can finally provide a good solution to Moto G users without root.

I will eager to wait for version V7.5. Please try to fix this problem into your up coming version else I have only one option available. i have to sell my new moto g 2nd phone.

Thank you very much for your quick response :)
Shyamji

Yes, we are working on it.

Hi ,

Whats the tentative date you planning to launched the revised version ,

Regards

Akash.

We plan to release V7.5 on 2015-03-09 or 2015-03-10.

Do these settings depend on ROM, too? I'm using CM12 nightly, does the same suggestion apply for me?

Thanks!

Do these settings depend on ROM, too?
=> Yes. Almost every ROM has different audio configuration files, different audio software layer implementations, especially when they are from different developer teams/companies.

I'm using CM12 nightly, does the same suggestion apply for me?
=> I simply checked the Moto G XT1033 Android 5.0.2 CM12 Nightly ROM, it seems CM12 works the same as the stock Motorola ROM related to call recording. But not confirmed by users yet.

It's works for me
Several XT1033 Android 5.0.2, Boldbeast Recorder records calls perfectly in two directions, No Root Needed, just use following settings:

Thank you admin

13 (edited by f1715391@trbvm.com 2015-03-18 19:17:46)

It works for me too
Moto G xt1033

other settings doesnt work.
Thanks.
Please change the first entry to reflect this information.

I have euro XT1039 version of Moto G and unfortunately not all calls are being recorded. It seems the outgoing calls are recorded but in incoming calls only my own voice is being recorded.

I've tried record modes 1, 5 and 7 and it seems none of them work reliably in the incoming calls. I have two phones myself and when I was trying to find the right mode I thought mode 5 recorded both sides of the call when I called from my other phone. But when I got a call from someone else only my own voice was being recorded. In one of those three modes recorder also crashed and only recorded the first 30 seconds of the call. Confusingly I think at least one incoming call was being recorded but even with the same record mode the next incoming call was not.

I didn't realize Motorola was this strongly against call recording. I would never have bought the phone had I known it. Call recording has worked pretty well on my earlier Symbian phones and then on all the Samsung Galaxy phones I've used at work so I had no idea some manufacturers deliberately try to prevent it from working. I'm aware that call recording has never been easy, though, but I guess I've been lucky with my earlier phones to have always been able to find the right call recording software for them.

kode wrote:

I have euro XT1039 version of Moto G and unfortunately not all calls are being recorded. It seems the outgoing calls are recorded but in incoming calls only my own voice is being recorded.

Just as paresh9080 and f1715391 said, WAV is suggested.
Please use WAV format to record calls, it works well.

boldbeast wrote:
kode wrote:

Just as paresh9080 and f1715391 said, WAV is suggested.
Please use WAV format to record calls, it works well.

Unfortunately it does not. I went through all the record modes today trying to make the recording work. Modes 1 and 5 were the only ones that seemed to work. In mode 7 the recording doesn't stop when the call ends, and there were problems with the sound as well.

There was something wrong with mode 5 but I can't remember what. Most probably the incoming caller's voice wasn't recorded. Mode 1 did work when I tried calling from my other phone, and it also worked when I called my friend and then made him call me. Both of our voices were recorded. But then I got another phone call from someone else and the only thing recorded was my voice. Not a thing from the other side was recorded.

I have Tune Special on and I used wav like was adviced. So unfortunately the recording doesn't seem to work on all Moto G's yet. I guess I should point out that I'm still on 4.44/KitKat since Motorola hasn't released Lollipop yet in my language.

Thanks for your report, maybe some phones with Android 4.4 doesn't work so well.
In theory, without root the solution to bypass the "call recording limit" works better with Android 5.0.

18 (edited by yurkennis 2015-03-31 21:03:21)

What about Moto G 2nd gen XT1079, is it supported with or without root; which versions of Android?

yurkennis wrote:

What about Moto G 2nd gen XT1079, is it supported with or without root; which versions of Android?

We have no feedback from users about XT1079.
I have just searched by google, XT1079 uses the MSM8926 chip that is not the same as MSM8226 used by other Moto G phones. Can you please click the "Call Settings - Fix Recording Issues - Ask New Parameters" item in Boldbeast Recorder to send hardware log files to me? let us check them and see if our solution is suitable for it, or if there is anything we need to do. Thanks.

my moto g 2nd gen  miss out some calls to record
is there any size limit for clips

No, there is no file size limit. It's limited only by the disk space.

22 (edited by sathish.0512 2015-04-30 17:48:45)

I have XT1033 Android 5.0.2 and followed below settings it is working only for outgoing calls and not working for incoming calls. Please let me know is this was solved in your latest version so that i will update.

Please update to V7.9.
If needed please set all options to default settings and test again.

24 (edited by sathish.0512 2015-05-02 15:32:31)

I want to buy ur app but when I give my debit card details it is showing invalid credit card number.please let me know how to buy it

You can buy the license

- from Google Play with your Google Wallet.
- from our web site http://www.boldbeast.com/android/call_recorder.html with PayPal.
- from our web site http://www.boldbeast.com/android/call_recorder.html with Avangate.

Google/PayPal/Avangate process payments for us all over the world, we don't process payments ourselves, therefore we don't know the reason of "invalid credit card number". Please ask Google/PayPal/Avangate for helps. Thanks.