Moto E4 and Moto E4 Plus works perfectly, no root needed, just install Boldbeast Recorder and go.
Please use these settings to record calls:

- Record Mode: 1
- Record Format: MP3
- Tune Audio Route: Group3

Recorded calls are crystal clear in two sides.

UPDATE
=======
Most users said "recordings are crystal clear in both sides". However some users said "at first it records the call very well, but after a while (for example after 10 seconds, 100 seconds, or other number of seconds randomly), my voice or the caller's voice becomes very weak in the recording". This problem is exactly the same as Moto G5S, please see this page for more information: https://www.boldbeast.com/forum/topic15 … o-g5s.html

Moto G7: Moto G7 call recorder
Moto G6: Moto G6 call recorder
Moto G5S: Moto G5S call recorder
Moto G5: Moto G5 call recorder
Moto G4 Play: Moto G4 Play call recorder
Moto G4: Moto G 4th call recorder
Moto Z2 Force: Moto Z2 Call Recorder
Moto Z Force / Moto Z Play: Moto Z Call Recorder
Moto X4: Moto X4 Call Recorder
Moto E4: Moto E4 Call Recorder
Moto E3: Moto E3 Call Recorder

Hi downloaded the trial version of your call recorder. Phone is the Moto E4 android 7.1.1.

Tested out for 7 minute call. My voice and the other persons voice was clear for he first 30 secs and then the other voice became muffled whereas mine became low. What am I doing wrong?

mixdupkid2002 wrote:

Hi downloaded the trial version of your call recorder. Phone is the Moto E4 android 7.1.1.

Tested out for 7 minute call. My voice and the other persons voice was clear for he first 30 secs and then the other voice became muffled whereas mine became low. What am I doing wrong?

Obviously during the call another app wrongly changed the audio route, that made the problem. Most possibly "OK Google" or "Moto Voice" did it.
Please disable "OK Google" and "Moto Voice" in your phone to avoid the problem, see [001] in this page http://www.boldbeast.com/android/call_r … oting.html for more information.

boldbeast wrote:
mixdupkid2002 wrote:

Obviously during the call another app wrongly changed the audio route, that made the problem. Most possibly "OK Google" or "Moto Voice" did it.
Please disable "OK Google" and "Moto Voice" in your phone to avoid the problem, see [001] in this page http://www.boldbeast.com/android/call_r … oting.html for more information.

Thanks I will try this change.

I did have already OK Google disabled, but for the Moto Voice - I dont have this installed. I actually just see MOTO app under my settings and so I disabled this completely. I will keep you posted - unless there is another way of seeing the moto voice.

Hi,
So I had verified that 'Ok Google' has been disabled and I have checked my apps for the Moto Voice. This app doesn't exist but I have disabled 'Moto' app. I have also disabled battery optimization for the BoldBeast.

The app seems to be working and sometimes I can't hear the other person's voice. I also ensured that on manual recording, I have waited until the other person answers the call but still has this on and off issue. Not sure if I am missing anything else.

If "OK Google" and "Moto Voice" have been disabled but the problem is still there, I'm afraid it's related to something like "Echo Cancel", "Noise Suppress", "Automatic Gain Control" etc. Please check if there are related settings in the phone (not in Boldbeast), try to change the settings and test again.

By the way, Moto E4 and Moto E4 Plus works very well, other users don't have this problem.

Hi, not sure what these other things entail. I tried to record some additional conversations - in one instance - i recorded right at the start of an automated voice system but once the live agent came on - I could only hear my voice. Another instance - I recorded while on the transit - it got the background noise and my voice but did not pick up the caller.

Is there anything I could do..? I dont know what echo cancel or noise suppress ...

You said "live agent", is it an app name? Please disable it and test again.

Hi, sorry for the confusion - live agent meaning a human on the other line after pressing through the automated voice system.

I honestly dont know what is causing this. I did another test and I was able to hear both sides for the first 1min but then after my voice became muffled (low volume) whereas the other person was fine. I dont understand what is going on.

Other Moto E4 / Moto E4 Plus users don't have this problem. Maybe you changed something in the phone that made the problem.
I suggest you reset the phone to factory settings, then the problem should disappear.

Hi so I did factory reset and the low volume is an issue still with the other caller. Other things to note: my phone is not rooted and it is Verizon Brand Moto E4. I have made observations as well. If I am in an office or building (ie stationary) the recording sounds clear. However if I am walking outside the recorded calls become muffled. Another observation I find that certain callers i.e girlfriend seems to be clear while callers such as my brother his voice is almost always muffled or low. I have played around with settings but nothing seems to change the behaviour.

so could the issue be carrier specific/phone/location that is messing with the audio route? I can't find a pattern.
Thanks

mixdupkid2002 wrote:

If I am in an office or building (ie stationary) the recording sounds clear. However if I am walking outside the recorded calls become muffled. Another observation I find that certain callers i.e girlfriend seems to be clear while callers such as my brother his voice is almost always muffled or low.

Thanks for the information. So I guess (just guess) the problem is related to "HD Voice".
You enabled the HD Voice feature, is it right? Previously some Nexus 5X users met the similar problem. The problem appears if the caller's phone doesn't support HD Voice, or at the moment your wireless signal or his signal don't support HD Voice. They fixed the problem by disabling HD Voice. Please disable HD Voice in your phone and test again.

Hi administrator. I looked at my HD voice - I don't have this feature enabled. I looked into this further and it seems this phone can't be rooted - its a prepaid phone. Here is a more defined spec:

Model and physical features    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
Brand    Motorola
Model    Moto E4 XT1767
Also known as    Lenovo Moto E4 USA (Snapdragon), Moto E 4th Gen. Single-Sim
Country or region where it's sold    USA
Release date    June, 2017
Design / Type    Bar
Depth    9.3 millimeters (0.37 inches)
Size (width x height)    72 x 144.5 millimeters (2.83 x 5.69 in)
Weight    150 grams (5.25 ounces)
Qwerty physical keyboard    Not supported
Antenna    Internal antenna
Water protection    Water resistant (Splash)
Operating system (OS)    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
Operating system    Android 7.1 Nougat
Firmware update    Android 7.1.1 Nougat
Hardware    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
Architecture - Chipset    64bit - Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 MSM8917 (28nm)
CPU processor    1.4Ghz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53
GPU graphical controller    Qualcomm Adreno 308
RAM memory    2GB LPDDR3
Internal storage    16GB (10GB user available)
External storage    Until 256GB microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC
Display    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
Display type    TFT LCD IPS
Screen size    5" inches
Screen-to-body ratio    ~66.2% (screen-to-body ratio)
Touchscreen    Capacitive Multitouch
Display resolution    720 x 1280 pixels
Pixel density (dot pitch)    294 PPI
Colors    16 million
Scratch-resistant glass    Gorilla Glass 3
Mobile networks and data    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
Dual SIM    Not supported
SIM card    1 slot
nano-SIM (4FF)
GSM Mhz band    Quad-Band 850/900/1800/1900
2G network    CDMA 800/1900, GSM 850/900/1800/1900
3G network    CDMA2000 EV-DO
UMTS 850/900/1700/1900/2100
4G network    LTE Cat4 700/850/900/1700/1900/2600 (Bands 2,4,5,7,8,12,13,17,25,26,66)
TD-LTE 2500/2600 (Bands 38,41)
Data network    GPRS, EDGE, CDMA2000 EV-DO Rev 0, CDMA2000 EV-DO Rev A, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, TD-LTE, LTE
2G network SIM2    Not supported
3G network SIM2    Not supported
4G network SIM2    Not supported
Data network SIM2    Not supported
Maximum download/upload    150/50 Mbps
Messaging and calling    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
Messaging    SMS (T9), MMS, E-mail, Push mail
Speakerphone    Supported
Video calling    Supported
Call control    Voice dialing, Voice recorder
Primary camera / Back camera    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
Main camera    8 megapixels
Main camera resolution    3264 x 2448 pixels
Video recording (primary)    Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) 30 fps
Flash    LED flash on both cameras
Focal aperture    f/2.2 (aperture)
Focal length    feature not registered
Sensor size    feature not registered
Pixel size    1.12µm pixel
Autofocus    Autofocus
Touch focus    Supported
Image stabilization    EIS: Digital stabilization
Zoom    Only digital zoom
Face/smile detection    Face detection, Smile detection
BSI sensor    Not supported
HDR    HDR photo on both cameras
Front camera / Secondary camera    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
Front camera    5 megapixels
Front camera resolution    2560 x 1920 pixels
Video recording (secondary)    HD (1280 x 720 pixels)
Front flash    LED
Focal aperture    f/2.2 (aperture)
Focal length    feature not registered
Sensor size    feature not registered
Pixel size    1.4µm pixel
Multimedia    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
Radio    FM
TV    Not supported
Video formats    MP4, H.265, H.264, H.263
Audio formats    MP3, WAV, eAAC+, AC3, FLAC
Connectivity and interfaces    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
USB    USB 2.0 Micro-B (Micro-USB)
TV output    Not supported
Audio output    3.5mm jack
Bluetooth    4.1 version with A2DP
WiFi    802.11 a/b/g/n
DLNA    Not supported
NFC    Not supported
GPS    A-GPS, GeoTagging, GLONASS
Infrared port    Not supported
Other functions    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
Active noise cancellation    Supported
Vibrating alert    Supported
Ringtones    Polyphonic and customized
Web browser    HTML, XHTML, HTML5
Java / Flash player    Not supported
Sensors    Accelerometer
Proximity
Compass
Ambient Light
Biometric (fingerprint)
Other features    - Colors: Iron Grey, Blush Gold, Oxford Blue
- 2.5D cover glass screen
- Fast battery charging
- 10W charger
- WiFi hotspot
Power supply and autonomy    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
Battery technology    Lithium ion Polymer (LiPo) - Removable
Battery capacity    2800 mAh
Battery model    GK40
Talk time    feature not registered
Standby    feature not registered
Specific absorption rate (radiation)    Motorola Moto E4 XT1767
SAR USA, Mexico, Colombia    feature not registered
SAR European Union, UK    feature not registered

My chipset is 64bit - Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 MSM8917.

And I can't get access to any system settings - so it says there is active noise cancellation however, what I have done was covered the second microphone - at the back of the phone to disable it.

Anything else that you could recommend.

If you disabled HD Voice but the problem is still there, I'm afraid I don't know the cause of the problem at this moment, sorry.
However, other Moto E4 / Moto E4 Plus users don't have this "sound is distorted" problem, they record calls crystal clear.

boldbeast wrote:

If you disabled HD Voice but the problem is still there, I'm afraid I don't know the cause of the problem at this moment, sorry.
However, other Moto E4 / Moto E4 Plus users don't have this "sound is distorted" problem, they record calls crystal clear.

Ok thanks - I will still try and figure out why.

I tried to read your documentation but it doesnt speak to what are the different audio routes. May I ask what is the setting for moto e4 - what is tune audio route 3 and mode 1. Does it mean record the mic and the earpiece audio?

"Record Mode" and "Tune Audio Route" are options defined in Boldbeast Recorder, they are related to different group of recording parameters used by the app internally. By changing the options you let Boldbeast use different recording parameters to record calls.

For Moto E4 / Moto E4 Plus, please use suggested options in the post #1 above to record calls, it works very well.

hi boldbeast,

I have used the settings above as you have mentioned. Been trying to test these settings out again and noticed that I had my bluetooth signal disabled (not sure if I need it) but I enabled it again. It seems that the quality makes my longer conversations clearer on both sides when I listen back on the recordings.

It just seems that for some users - the conversations are clear but if other users (like a family member), the other person's voice become low.

I just dont know what app would change the audio route - is there any way to identify which apps are used in the background when I make a phone call?

mixdupkid2002 wrote:

I just dont know what app would change the audio route - is there any way to identify which apps are used in the background when I make a phone call?

I'm afraid there is no good way.
If needed please click "Call Settings - Fix Recording Issues - Ask New Parameters" in Boldbeast Recorder to send log files to me, and tell me which call (the date and time) was recorded good, which call (the date and time) was recorded bad, let me check them and see what happened in your phone.

Hi boldbeast,

Just wanted to know what are the exact modes of the tune audio route or record mode. I am still trying to figure out and I am looking at voice_communication or voice_recognition as the audio source that I may need. Is this what the above settings is for the record mode.

Thanks,

mixdupkid2002 wrote:

I am still trying to figure out and I am looking at voice_communication or voice_recognition as the audio source that I may need. Is this what the above settings is for the record mode.

Please test Record Mode 11, 12, 13, 14.

Hi boldbeast

So I did extensive testing and again it records clear on these modes but after 5 secs my voice or the caller becomes low. I have confirmed that noise cancellation is on by default by looking at the build prop file under phone call and there is no option to turn it off. I also confirmed that if I record a memo via back microphone the sound is crystal clear. I guess is there another option to record calls through the back microphone.
I can't root this phone.

Unless there is another way?

mixdupkid2002 wrote:

I guess is there another option to record calls through the back microphone. I can't root this phone. Unless there is another way?

Without root there is little a recorder can tune.
However if you root the phone you have much more powerful options in Boldbeast Recorder available at once to tune audio sound.

24 (edited by mixdupkid2002 2018-04-03 13:51:12)

[Updated] - Hi boldbeast, so looking at the memo - when I record through back microphone option - my voice is crystal clear (it does not even drop). I use MP3 as the format and have it auto. It seems that this route disables the noise and echo cancellation. I have tested over 100 memos and not one of them dropped in volume/or become distorted

Is there a way to mimic this recording route through the call setting app?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks boldbeast

Did further testing. It works well when I am in a closed environment ie I am not outside at a park but inside a room.

I researched further and there is the ability to leverage camcorder mediarecorder. Is there a record mode for this one. I guess this is my last try.

boldbeast wrote:
mixdupkid2002 wrote:

I guess is there another option to record calls through the back microphone. I can't root this phone. Unless there is another way?

Without root there is little a recorder can tune.
However if you root the phone you have much more powerful options in Boldbeast Recorder available at once to tune audio sound.

Is there a way to mimic this recording route through the call setting app?
=> If you use the back microphone route you can only record your own voice, the caller's voice can't be recorded.

I researched further and there is the ability to leverage camcorder mediarecorder. Is there a record mode for this one.
=> Record Mode 11 is it.