Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL Android 8.0, 8.1 doesn't need root, just install Boldbeast Recorder and go.
Please use these settings to record calls:

- Record Mode: 1
- Record Format: MP3
- Tune Audio Effect: No
- Tune Audio Route: Group3

Recorded calls are crystal clear in two sides.

Update 1
=======
From Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL users' reports, actually in some market areas the call recording feature of Android 8.0/8.1 is disabled by Google, in some areas it is not disabled.

If the call recording feature of your phone is disabled it can only record your own voice, the caller's voice is very weak in recordings, no matter what recorder in the market you are using. In this case you should root your phone, then Boldbeast Recorder can perfectly fix the problem. After root the phone please use the same settings as Pixel to record calls https://www.boldbeast.com/forum/topic13 … order.html

Update 2
=======
Android 9 Pie, thanks to Jeremy, he reported following settings works without root:

- Record Mode: 13

Jeremy is in the United States, maybe it's different from country to country. Feedback are welcomed.

Google added more call recording limits in Android 9 Pie. If the settings above suggested by Jeremy don't work for you I believe all recorders in the whole market don't work either, in this case you should root the phone then Boldbeast can fix the problem.

Update 3
=======
Some Android 9 Pie users said with root their phone records calls very well, but if they used a bluetooth headset there were "echo noises" in recordings. Obviously there is a bug related to bluetooth in the AudioServer inside the ROM that made the problem.

Please use the Alsa settings in this page https://www.boldbeast.com/forum/topic13 … order.html to record calls, recorded calls are crystal clear in both sides. Because the Alsa Engine is developed by us, it doesn't rely on AudioServer, so it can bypass bugs in AudioServer. This is the reason why the Alsa settings can cancel the echo noises, and can fix many other problems.

Google Pixel 4: Google Pixel 4 Call Recorder
Google Pixel 3a: Google Pixel 3a Call Recorder
Google Pixel 3: Google Pixel 3 Call Recorder
Google Pixel 2: Google Pixel 2 Call Recorder
Google Pixel: Google Pixel Call Recorder
Nexus 6P: Nexus 6P Call Recorder
Nexus 6:  Nexus 6 Call Recorder
Nexus 5X: Nexus 5X Call Recorder
Nexus 5:  Nexus 5 Call Recorder
Nexus 4:  Nexus 4 Call Recorder

boldbeast wrote:

Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL Android 8.0, 8.1 doesn't need root, just install Boldbeast Recorder and go.
Please use these settings to record calls:

- Record Mode: 1
- Record Format: MP3
- Tune Audio Effect: No

Recorded calls are crystal clear in two sides.

For me Record Mode 14 works better (Pixel 2 XL), no root needed.

takoateli wrote:

For me Record Mode 14 works better (Pixel 2 XL), no root needed.

Thanks for sharing the information.

What's the latest status on Pixel 2 ?

-There are undated "updates" in Admin's original post. Is the conclusion that Pixel 2 works, or only works in some areas, and if so, what is the best way to root?

What's the latest status on Pixel 2?
=> Pixel 2 Android 8.0, in some countries no root needed, in some countries root is needed.
=> Pixel 2 Android 8.1, the same
=> Pixel 2 XL Android 8.0, the same
=> Pixel 2 XL Android 8.1, the same

What is the best way to root?
=> Some users told me their Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL need root, and after root the phone they use the same Alsa settings as Pixel described in this page http://www.boldbeast.com/forum/topic134 … order.html to record calls, both Android 8.0 and 8.1 work good. So both Android 8.0 and 8.1 can be rooted successfully, but I don't know how they root it, sorry.

The root solution inside Boldbeast Recorder is a little different than other apps, it doesn't save any patch to the system, it doesn't change any file in the system, so it easily supports both SuperSU and Magisk (actually supports all su packages in theory). You can use any su package you want.

7 (edited by IroN 2018-08-07 19:27:00)

boldbeast wrote:

What's the latest status on Pixel 2?
=> Pixel 2 Android 8.0, in some countries no root needed, in some countries root is needed.
=> Pixel 2 Android 8.1, the same
=> Pixel 2 XL Android 8.0, the same
=> Pixel 2 XL Android 8.1, the same

Hi!
     Boadbeast was recording all calls on my Pixel 2 XL and Android 8.1 (no root) with pretty good quality. After the upgrade to Android 9 only my voice is being recorded. Are There any chances to record both sides again without root?

We'll investigate Android 9.0 further more.

boldbeast wrote:

We'll investigate Android 9.0 further more.

Thanks in advance!

Google added more call recording limits in Android 9 Pie. Please use Record Mode 13 to record calls (thanks to Jeremy).
If Record Mode 13 doesn't work all recorders in the whole market don't work either for sure, in this case you should root the phone then Boldbeast can fix the problem.

boldbeast wrote:

Google added more call recording limits in Android 9 Pie. Please use Record Mode 13 to record calls (thanks to Jeremy).
If Record Mode 13 doesn't work all recorders in the whole market don't work either for sure, in this case you should root the phone then Boldbeast can fix the problem.

Unfortunately mode 13 didn't work on my Pixel 2 XL. No call recording for me...
Thanks for your support!

IroN wrote:

Unfortunately mode 13 didn't work on my Pixel 2 XL. No call recording for me.

So root is the only way to go, there is no other solution in the market.

Hi, pixel xl 2, pie, unrooted, mode 13 is working but the other side is *very* low, anything I can do?

Thank you

assafice wrote:

Hi, pixel xl 2, pie, unrooted, mode 13 is working but the other side is *very* low, anything I can do?

After root the phone Boldbeast Recorder can fix it, recorded calls are loud and clear in both sides.
Without root there is no solution.

15 (edited by kwest12 2018-11-13 17:00:17)

Can someone list out the proper settings for Pixel 2 XL ROOTED on Android 9 in the USA? Seems like all the discussion is focused on non-rooted phones, but I'm rooted. Thanks!

Edit: tested mode 1 and mode 13. Both work, but audio from the other end is much quieter than it should be. Also, muting the mic on my pixel 2 XL results in no audio being recorded from the caller.

kwest12 wrote:

Can someone list out the proper settings for Pixel 2 XL ROOTED on Android 9 in the USA? Seems like all the discussion is focused on non-rooted phones, but I'm rooted. Thanks!

Edit: tested mode 1 and mode 13. Both work, but audio from the other end is much quieter than it should be. Also, muting the mic on my pixel 2 XL results in no audio being recorded from the caller.

Please use the Alsa settings in this page https://www.boldbeast.com/forum/topic13 … order.html
All your problems will be gone at once. Recorded calls are pretty good.

Thanks for the suggestion. I modified the settings accordingly, but the audio from the caller's end is still quiet.   ????

kwest12 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I modified the settings accordingly, but the audio from the caller's end is still quiet.   ????

It's impossible.
Numberless Pixel 2 XL users are using the Alsa settings, recordings are great.
You must have not set the suggested settings. Can you please click "Call Settings - Fix Recording Issues - Ask New Parameters" in Boldbeast Recorder to send log files to me? Let us have a look at them and see what happened in your phone. Thanks.

Update 2018-12-25
You haven't sent log files to me so far. I guess you have fixed it.
For other users, please use the Alsa settings suggested, it works very well.